Sunday 24 September 2006

Thank you to the Earl! Sherrise reinvents the sandwich.

Sherrise writes: Sandwiches. The bain of a school-mum's life. Certainly my mother's, anyway. (I remember the trepidation with which I opened my lunch box for fear of the soggy tomato, or worse, last night's spaghetti or rissole squashed between less-than-fresh bread.) Thankfully, on this occasion of a most civilised high tea well away from a hot summer playground school bag, there is little else more delightful than fresh ingredients spilling from today's sliced bread. Really, the sky is the limit for sandwich fillings (although I do suggest staying away from left-overs) but on this, our inaugural high tea I couldn't go past the classic cucumber sandwich - a hommage to china cups, extended pinkies and Mr Darcy Himself. Paper-thin sliced cucumber with crustless bread acts almost as a palate cleanser amidst the other delicacies as described. However, the favourite of the trio was the pear and stilton, with the tuna, sweetcorn and mayo mix not far behind for some. (I can recommend these for a Saturday lunch, particularly on a fresh baguette). Delicate or door-stoppers, the sandwich can suit anyone's cup of tea.

Cucumber Tea Sandwiches

Pear and Stilton Tea Sandwiches

Tuna, Sweetcorn and Mayonnaise Tea Sandwiches

No comments: